Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My appointment, and the Surgery Date.

Wow! The combination of the Chemo meds and the Radiation kicked that tumor's Ass! She couldn't find any trace of the tumor at all!

I still need to have surgery. below is a summary of what she will do. I will have my whole Rectum removed.


" Some stage I rectal cancers and most stage II or III cancers in the upper two thirds of the rectum (close to where it connects with the colon) can be removed by low anterior resection. In this procedure the tumor is removed without affecting the anus. After low anterior resection, your colon will be attached to the anus and your waste will leave the body in the usual way.
A low anterior resection is like most abdominal operations. You will need to take laxatives and enemas before surgery to completely clean out the intestines. Just before surgery, you will be given general anesthesia, which puts you into a deep sleep. The surgeon makes the incision only in the abdomen. Then the surgeon removes the cancer and a margin of normal tissue on either side of the cancer, along with nearby lymph nodes and a large amount of fatty and fibrous tissue around the rectum. The colon is then reattached to the rectum that is remaining so that a colostomy is not necessary.
Sometimes, the entire rectum may be removed and the colon attached to the anus. This is called a colo-anal anastomosis (anastomosis means connection). This is a harder procedure to do, but modern techniques have made it possible. Sometimes when a colo-anal anastomosis is done, a small pouch is made by doubling back a short segment of colon (colonic J-pouch) or by enlarging a segment (coloplasty). This small reservoir of colon then functions like the rectum did before surgery. When special techniques are needed to prevent a permanent colostomy, you may need to have a temporary colostomy opening for about 8 weeks while the bowel heals. A second operation is then done to close the colostomy opening. "


Most of what is stated up above is exactly what she will do. However, due to the location of my tumor (or where it was!) this could be difficult.

Surgery will be 2.5-3hours. I should be in the hospital for 5-10 days. Depending on how I do. I have to eat, tolerate, and pass solid foods before I can leave. I also have to make sure there isn't a leak or an infection.

So, the big date?

October 17th!!!

I am so excited. I will get to go to the Photog conference in WV!!!!!

My last HO-RAA! for quite a while.

Now I feel like I dont have anything to do... lol

I have a whole month to wait, I was mentally prepared for September. This is definately better for our Calendar at home though. Tora has 3 parades coming up and Shelby is in the middle of Soccer season.

Oh, and here is a dumb little thing... we used Valet parking for the very first time today, hehe. In that huge parking garage.. its worth $3.00 LOL

I have a Mammogram 9/4
Oncologist follow up 9/8
Pre surgery appt 10/13

I will also have 4 months of Chemo after I have healed from surgery, then sometime after that I will have the ostomy reversed.

I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

7 comments:

twitterpated said...

"Then the surgeon removes the cancer and a margin of normal tissue on either side of the cancer, along with nearby lymph nodes and a large amount of fatty and fibrous tissue around the rectum."

sure wish i sould have the fatty tissue removed from the area around my rectum! ha ha!

glad to hear you have a surgery date and hopefully this will all be over soon.

i still can't believe your strength and how positive you seem to be about this whole ordeal.

keep us updated and take it easy now that you have a bit of time all to yourself.

Bren said...

LOL

I asked if I could get a little Nip and Tuck while she was in there.....

her response:

"its a different incision"

Haha

Thank you Carly. Means alot that you have followed along with this. THAT is what is keeping me positive!

Teal said...

Yeah!!!!!! I am so happy for you.

I too can not believe how positive and how strong you have been through this. You are an inspiration!

Now maybe you can have some fun with some you time before the surgery.

Tycie

Colleen said...

Brenda

I am so happy to hear that it is good news. You and your family deserve to hear it with everything else you have been through this year. Keep us updated on everything.

Unknown said...

I know, it says "Paul said..." :) I'm using his Google account since I'm too lazy to set up my own. ;)

I'm so glad you have some good news for a change! I hope the surgery goes smoothly and that you guys can finish the year on a positive note.

You've definitely been an inspiration for me. With everything you've been through you still have a great attitude and I know that has helped you stay strong.

Hang in there girl... you're almost there!

Karen

T Williams said...

Excellent news Brenda! So much better than the orginal diagnosis/treatment plan. Congrats on making it to this point!

Tracy

Fort Worth Baby Photographer said...

You are so strong, Brenda! We are all pulling for you here in Texas! If anyone can beat this nastiness, you can!